65. Italian Culture p. 446Italy is a land of history and culture. And as we all know, the ancient architecture there is
breathtaking. Just as we Chinese are proud of our history and culture, so are ... 全文>>
64. Speaking the Same Language p. 442Sally is talking with her friend, Don.
S: Tell me, Don. How come you're from Spain but you can't speak Spanish very well?
D: It's not my mother tongue. My f... 全文>>
63. The Dying Languages p. 435Today, more people than ever before are speaking to each other through satellite television, cellular
telephones and computers. This means that people from different pa... 全文>>
61. Touring by Taxi p.415One of the most convenient but expensive ways to get around a city in any country is by taxi. And in
some cases, tipping is expected.
A taxi driver knows the city like the... 全文>>
60. How to Attract Boys p.411Jason is talking to Kate, a classmate he likes very much.
J: I don't understand why you dye your hair and wear all kinds of weird clothes, Kate.
K: I guess that's ho... 全文>>
59. About Moral Values p.403More and more people are forgetting the saying, "Pride comes before a fall." I remember only a few years
ago when things used to be so different. People used to be more m... 全文>>
57.New Asian Generation p.388In the past, the children of Asia had very few choices. A son would usually follow in his father's
footsteps and do the same kind of job as his father. But now, young p... 全文>>
55. Life after Death p.376A 34-year-old married man who died recently had no children. When he died, his wife was not pregnant,
either. But now that he's dead, he has a chance of becoming a father.... 全文>>
54. Variety is the Spice of LifeBarney and Debbie are on vacation in Bangkok.
D: So where are you taking me out to dinner tonight, Barney?
B: Let's go to Phuket. It has the most beautiful sunsets... 全文>>
53. Monkeying Around p.361Thai people believe that keeping monkeys happy brings good luck. So every year there's a day on which
they have a special treat for monkeys called the Annual Monkey Feast.... 全文>>
52. A Thanksgiving Get-together p.357Larry, who is from Taiwan, is studying in America. His classmate, Sue, who is American, is having a
Thanksgiving Day party at her house.
S: Hi, Larry. Are you ... 全文>>
51.Thanksgiving p.348Thanksgiving which falls on the fourth Thursday of November, is one of the biggest American holidays. This
holiday started in the early 1600's after settlers arrived in America... 全文>>
49. Stop Snoring! P.329Millions of families have trouble falling asleep. Do you know why? There's someone in the family who
has a snoring problem. The problem can be quite serious. In some cases, c... 全文>>
48. Fast Food, Slow Service p.324Tess is a cashier at a fast-food restaurant. Michael is a customer in a hurry.
T: Good afternoon, sir. How are you today?
M: Save it,, lady. Just get me a burger a... 全文>>
47. Fast-food Talk p.315Though it is generally accepted that junk food is not healthful, American fast-food restaurants are
popping up all over the world. These restaurants are for people who are al... 全文>>
45. Tough Guys Do Dance p.301Not only is Thai boxing violent but it is also bloody. Yet it involves the arts of dance and music. It
is both ugly and beautiful at the same time. That's why it's so ... 全文>>
44. Better off with E-mail? P.295Steve is chatting with his sister, Diana.
S: Gee, Diana, you're always at home. Don't you have any friends to go out with?
D: Sure, I do. But all my friends are ... 全文>>
43.Hi-tech Romance p.286Both Charlene and Robert are librarians. Charlene is from America and Robert is from Australia. Four
days after they met face to face for the first time, they got married. "T... 全文>>
42. Roast Beef p.282My brother, Luke, goes to see his girlfriend, Daisy.
D: What on earth happened to you?
L: Oh, I just had a lazy day at the beach.
D: My goodness! You're really burnt. Are yo... 全文>>
40.Changing Money p.267Ritchie Li is at a bank in Australia. He tries not to show how nervous he is about speaking English.
R: Excuse me, miss. I would like to change 500 US dollars into Australian ... 全文>>
39. At the Foreign Exchange p.259When you go abroad, what's the thing you need most? Money, of course! You'll need to go to the bank to
buy some traveler's checks. Then when you arrive at your de... 全文>>
37. Garbage Could Mean Money p.241Fashion never ceases to surprise me. Recently, a fashion designer came up with another strange creation.
His idea comes straight from the garbage dump, so to speak.... 全文>>
35. A Sense of Security p.227Some people take the view that sometimes in life we have to take chances in order to make progress. I
admire such people. It certainly takes courage to take risks. Maybe... 全文>>
34. A Lifesaving Kiss p.222Tonya is a beautiful lifeguard. She has just saved Marvin from drowning in the ocean.
M: I feel a little groggy.
T: That's natural. You nearly drowned a minute ago.
33. A Deadly Current p.213it is a pity that every summer a few people drown at the beach. In some cases, these people were good
swimmers. So how did it happen? Riptide!
Riptide is a strong underwa... 全文>>
32. Goldfish, Souls and Coffee Table p.208Ms. Smith, an American, is talking to Mr. Ting, an expert on feng shui.
S: What changes would you suggest for my house?
T: I think that you should get an ... 全文>>
31. Good Feng Shui in New York p.199Feng shui, or geomancy in English, is becoming more and more popular in America. The Chinese consider
feng shui old news, but to Americans, it's something brand-... 全文>>
29. Just a Dream p.188One day I was at home listening to music when suddenly I felt a pain in my neck. As I tried to turn my head,
I head my neck crack. I got the fright of my life. I was so scared ... 全文>>
28. Going on a Diet p.184Little Johnny is talking to his mother.
J: How come you always make me do things I don't want to?
M: What do you mean?
J: Well, for instance, you always force me to eat... 全文>>
27. Thank Your Lucky Stars p173I remember when I was a young boy, life was tough. My parents made me do many things for them. For example,
they had me do the laundry, the dishes and the house cleani... 全文>>
26. The Missing Tip p168Chen is in America. His American friend, Daisy, suggested having lunch with him at a restaurant.
C: Why's that waiter so angry?
D: Those people who just left didn't seem ... 全文>>
25. Restaurant Dos and Don'ts P156When you want to eat at a Western restaurant, you should first consider making a reservation. If not, you
risk having to wait for a long time for a table.
When e... 全文>>
24. Just Like a Woman p151Jenny and Andy are having a cup of coffee at a café.
J: Hey, Andy. Did you feel that earthquake yesterday?
A: Sure. I was at work. Some of the women in the office ... 全文>>
23. Earthquake Survival Tips P140Would you know what to do during a really big earthquake? Experts have looked into the matter carefully. It
may be worth your while to look over the following tips t... 全文>>
22. Whiskey or Coffee? P135Jack and his Japanese friend, Norie, are on their way home from school.
N: what a hard day I had at school! I feel like having a coffee or something.
J: Me too.
N: Let... 全文>>
21 Coffee Bathing P 127.When the Japanese as you "Would you like some coffee?" think twice before you answer. In Japan, it is quite
popular to have a "coffee hath." For about US$20, you can get a gr... 全文>>
19. Blame it on Men p114What's the real reason women get fat? It's not chocolate or ice cream. According to a recent report, which
was published in London, it's men! A magazine suggested men have... 全文>>
18. Nothing is perfect p 111The computer in Dan's car is helping him reach his hotel.
D: OK, computer, how do we get there?
C: go one block and take a left.
D: that looks easy. (He turns right.... 全文>>